The soft, juicy and sweet pears provide the perfect sweet balance to this soft and tender cake. We’re back to basics with this moist and simple pear olive oil cake.
One bowl baking
Pear season is almost over, and as a pear lover, I had to bake a simple, basic pear olive oil cake that everyone can easily bake and enjoy.
Cakes don’t need to be complicated. Most of the time, I like to bake simple and basic recipes. The whole purpose here is to indulge with something sweet. So if they are quick, even better.
This pear olive oil cake is made with just a few ingredients that most likely you have at home: Eggs, yogurt, flour, sugar, oil, baking powder, and pears.
The best thing? You can easily mix all the ingredients in one bowl, so the mess is minimal. After it is baked, I should say you should wait until it gets to room temperature. But let’s be honest, a warm cake with a scoop of ice cream sounds like heaven.
I already see the happy faces waiting for their slice.
Bartlett Pears or…?
Or whatever pears you have on hand. I happened to have Bartlett pears and they were almost too ripe, so I grabbed a few and mashed them with a fork until they look like a “puree”.
If you have other pears or a combination of types, go ahead! I’m sure the cake will turn out perfectly fine!
Pear Olive Oil cake substitutions and add-ins
Baking is a science. So, I’m not going to say that you mix and change ingredients like when you are cooking, because it might not work the same way. I wish.
However, you can always customize recipes a little bit and change some pieces of them if you understand the basics.
Don’t have pear? Use apple or applesauce.
Don’t have yogurt? Use sour cream, cottage cheese (blended), or buttermilk.
What spices do you like? Add cinnamon or ginger, cardamom, vanilla…up to you, make it your special treat!
Nuts anyone? I’m sure almonds, walnuts, and other nuts would give a distinctive crunch to these soft and tender pear olive oil cake.
If you like olive oil cakes check out this other amazing Spanish cake recipe:
PEAR OLIVE OIL CAKE (Bizcocho de Pera)
o 3L Eggs
o 150g Yogurt (or sour cream)
o 200g Whole wheat flour (You can use all purpose flour)
o 150g Sugar
o 1 Tbsp Baking powder
o 120g Olive oil
o 200g (3 small) mashed Pears + 1 Pear on top (sliced)
o Extra: Almonds or other nuts, inside or on top, at your discretion
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and grease with butter or nonstick cooking spray a 8 or 9 inch baking pan. You can also line the pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, add the eggs and sugar and whisk until they are lighter in color.
3. Add the yogurt and mix until combined.
4. Add the flour, baking powder, and pinch of salt and whisk gently until no streaks of flour appear and the ingredients are combined.
5. Add the olive oil and mix until incorporated.
6. Lastly, add the mashed pear and mix with a spatula.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and add one sliced pear on top. I also added sliced almonds on top. You can add other nuts inside too if you like the extra crunch.
8. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Let it cool at room temperature. Carefully, unmold and place onto a serving plate. Enjoy!
o Room temperature ingredients: It is always better to have cold ingredients such as eggs and yogurt at room temperature so they mix easily and batter doesn’t break.
o Pear or Apple: If you don’t have pears, you can substitute with applesauce.
o Store in an airtight container or wrap with plastic wrap at room temperature for 4-5 days.
Don't forget to subscribe and follow The Obrador pages (see below) if you'd like to receive new amazing Spanish recipes!